12/03/2017

5 Ways to Thrive as a Student at UNITECH

We are strongly committed to be a good university so we apply all academic and other rules strictly. A university is by its very nature a rule based organization. We must obey by our own rules if we wish to obtain provisional accreditation by an international, independent external body by 2019.

The University rules are the same for everybody and are set by the University Council and the Academic Board. Even the Vice Chancellor has to obey by these rules, and can not by himself take action to bypass them. In fact, it is the Vice Chancellor and the Registrar are responsible for upholding these rules, and maintaining the integrity of all processes.

Highly Employable Graduates

After our new Council was constituted on 3 April 2014, a number of things have changed at UNITECH. What you have heard from others may therefore not be correct. Here are some pointers which will ensure you will do well as a student at UNITECH:

1- Before you get in: do the STAT-P Test

Last year, UNITECH partnered with ACER in Melbourne to roll out an aptitude test for all school leavers. Over 1,000 candidates took the test. Next year, the University of Goroka and the University of Natural Resources will probably join, which allows us all to offer this test in more than this year's 5 centres.

Last year's test results will be recognized internationally and valid for Non School Leavers application this year. If you score less than 60% on the STAT-P test, this may have lowered your Grade 12 GPA mark.

Pay your tuition and fees on time and in full. In this manner, you will be assured a hassle free registration. You can now register online even from your mobile phone. Next year, we hope to link this to a payment system, so that Registration can be done even more smoothly.


2- Accept UNITECH's offer

Because funding for the University's operations has been decreasing over the last 5 years, UNITECH has kep the student intake at the same level with about 650 school leavers and 150 non-school leavers. 

The admission list for school leavers and non school leavers is established during the selection in December. Lobbying at the last minute with the academic departments, the registry or the Vice Chancellor is therefore fruitless. They can not admit anyone outside the selection or reserve lists. 

For NSL there are over 6,000 applicants each year, so the odds are small. Therefore, if you get an offer as a SL from UNITECH, even it is not your first or second choice you are better off taking it. It is probably your only chance to receive a university education.


3- No leniency, but please complain

When studying at UNITECH the only way to get a good grade is to study hard. There is no such thing as leniency. There is no point in disrupting classes or exams, because we always go by our rules. 

We do however automatically moderate the marks so the class average is always around 65%. As a result on average about 7% of students fail each year. In the first year, however, the failure rate is much higher.

We take the students evaluation of teaching seriously, and students have no reason to be afraid to complain. We consider students have a right at UNITECH to be taught according to the 15 week lesson plan. Any irregularity - lecturers being late, not giving assignments on time, etc. - must be reported.

As to academic appeals, there is a procedure that must be respected. It is very important you describe clearly the ground for your appeal. Having a series of misfortunes, for example, is generally not a ground for appeal. You will just have to do the supplementary exams.

4- Respect each other

The diversity among the PNG student body is enormous. We do not however recognize provincial groupings as representing the students. In the dormitory students are divided by departments. The SRC constitution is based on departmental representation.

We want to create an international classroom and expose our students to international experiences. On my Facebook page you will regularly find news about international scholarship. On campus, we have about 70 Solomon Island, Vanuatu and Cook Islands students, and a dozen or so Post graduate international students from Africa, the Pacific and the Caribbean. We consider that your days at university are the best opportunity to make friends with students from all different sections of society in PNG and elsehwere.

5- Insist on meaningful industrial training

Currently, only around 40% of graduates have a job in April, 6 months after graduating. Those who did meaningful industrial training have a much higher chance.

At UNITECH we offer a quality education, which means we assure that courses are delivered exactly according to the lesson plan. We implemented the common credit currency which means that the study load is in line with international standards. You may find our programs taxing, but when you graduate you will reap the fruits of your hard work.

We are confident therefore that UNITECH graduates will embark on a professional career or will become successful entrepreneurs, and will not need to revert to subsistence farming, or working as shop assistants or waiters.

Good luck with your studies!

7 comments:

  1. TRUSTED LENDER (LEXIELOANCOMPANY@YAHOO.COM)
    My name is Michael Lee a citizen of Illinois, USA. i have been scammed by 7 different Internet international lender, they all promise to give me a loan after making me pay several fees which yield nothing and amounted to no positive result. i lost my hard earn money and it was a total of 23930USD. One day as i was browsing through the internet with tears on my eye i came across a testimony of man who was also scammed and eventually got linked to a legit loan company called MARTINEZ LEXIE LOAN COMPANY where he finally got his loan, so i decided to contact the same loan company and then told them my story on how i have been scammed by 7 different lenders who did nothing but to course me more pain. I explain to the company by mail and all they told me was to cry no more because i will get my loan in their company and also i have made the right choice of contacting them. I filled the loan application form and proceeded with all that was requested of me and to my greatest surprise my loan was granted to me without further delay and here i am today happy because Martinez Lexie Loan Company HAS GIVEN ME A REASON TO LIVE, so i made a vow to my self that i will keep testifying on the internet on how i got my loan. You are to contact this GODSENT LENDER via Email: Lexieloancompany@yahoo.com OR Text +18168926958

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BETTERMENT FUNDING {bettermentfunding@gmail.com}Hi everyone, i am Alexis Ohanian am so glade coming back to this great forum to testify about the help i received from Chester Brian. I was in desperate need of a loan in other to be free from debt and financial bondage that was place on me by my ex husband. It was really bad that i have to seek for help from Friends,family and even my bank but on one could assist me because my credit score was really bad. So i was browsing with my computer and saw some testimonies from people Chester Brian assisted with a loan, then i decided to contact him on his email {bettermentfunding@gmail.com}, then i received a mail from them and i did all that was asked from me. To my greatest surprise they transferred to my account the loan i requested and now i am so happy clearing my debt and have also started a business with the remaining amount to take care of myself and family. If you need a loan do contact the best loan lender of all time Chester Brian on his email: {bettermentfunding@gmail.com}

      Delete
    2. God Bless Edward Jones Loans for Helping Me In Time Of Need {Jonesloanfinance@yahoo.com}

      Good Day I am Vanessa Cowen from California and i have a broken up business, until i found this company who help me to gain a loan for business, and now i want to used this short medium to congratulate the company for the fast and safe funds they loan to me without any form of delay, i loan 180,000.00USD from the company at a very low interest rate of 2% to save my business and lots more. i first saw their mail on the internet, everyone always give testimony for what they did, so i quickly contacted them and they all did everything for me without stress and my funds was sent to my account within 24hrs, i was surprise and feel glad, now i now have a standard business control agent who help me, now i will advice those who need urgent loan to contact them now via email : {jonesloanfinance@yahoo.com} OR Text him +1(307) 217-5388
      .....

      Delete
  2. UNIVERSAL HACKER AVAILABLE AT YOUR SERVICE ANYTIME
    SPECIALIZED IN:
    Email interception
    Text message interception
    Password retrieval
    Databases hack
    Clearing of criminal records
    Grade Changes
    Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn/Skype Hack
    Bank Transfers
    University grades changing
    Software hack
    Phone hack
    Retrieval of lost files and documents.
    Contact solely on jeancyber91@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Testimony on how i got my LOAN from fundingloanplc@yahoo.com ...

    I'm Isabella Tyson from 1910 N Halsted St Unit 3, Chicago IL60614 USA,, i have been searching for a genuine loan company for the past few months and all i got was bunch of scams who made me to trust them and at the end of the day took my money without giving anything in return, all hope was lost i got confused and frustrated, i find it very difficult to feed my family and vowed never to have anything to do with loan companies on net and went to seek of assistance from a very good friend which i explained all my experience regarding online companies with and said he can help me that he knows of a Godsent and well known company called FUNDING CIRCLE PLC, he stated he just got a loan from them although i was still very unsure about this company due to my past experience but i decided to give it a try and did as i was directed by my friend and applied, i never believed but i tried and to my greatest surprise i received my loan in my bank account within 24 hours, i could not believe that i would stand on my feet financially again. I’m glad I took the risk and applied for the loan and today i'm thanking God that such loan companies still exist and promise to share the good news to people who are in need of financial assistance because the rate of scams on net is getting very serious and i don't want people to fall victim when we still have genuine and Godsent lenders.. You can contact this Godsent company using the information as stated and be a partaker of this great testimony.. Email: fundingloanplc@yahoo.com OR Call/Text +14067326622 thanks



    ReplyDelete
  4. WHENEVER YOU OR YOUR LOVED ONES NEED A LOAN UPSTART LOAN IS THE BEST, TESTED AND TRUSTED. BEWARE OF RIPPERS ONLINE.( Email: upstartloan@yahoo.com or text/call +1(574) 301-1639 ).

    Good day, Out of my busy schedule just feel like to quickly share this because i know am going to save thousand of lives with this. A lot of persons will agree with me that fake loan lenders is no longer a news to us it has been trending for some months now and i was also victimized when i tried seeking for a loan for the invention of a new patent and invest on stock. After so many failed attempt to get a loan there was one company who proved themself to be different among the rest, They are trust worthy, straight forward, honest and reliable. I won't say much because as the saying goes "experience is the best teacher", I will candid advice anyone who need a loan of any amount to kindly contact this one and only true lenders UPSTART LOAN on their email address: ( upstartloan@yahoo.com ) Or you can as well text/call them on ( +1(574) 301-1639 ) . I remain my humble self Wesley Kurt Dwayne, I reside at Park Ave Richmond VA 23220. Say no more to be victim of scam enough is enough for the wise, Don't trust until you verified contact UPSTART LOAN now and share your own awesome experience with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God Bless Edward Jones Loans for Helping Me In Time Of Need {Jonesloanfinance@yahoo.com}

    Good Day I am Vanessa Cowen from California and i have a broken up business, until i found this company who help me to gain a loan for business, and now i want to used this short medium to congratulate the company for the fast and safe funds they loan to me without any form of delay, i loan 180,000.00USD from the company at a very low interest rate of 2% to save my business and lots more. i first saw their mail on the internet, everyone always give testimony for what they did, so i quickly contacted them and they all did everything for me without stress and my funds was sent to my account within 24hrs, i was surprise and feel glad, now i now have a standard business control agent who help me, now i will advice those who need urgent loan to contact them now via email : {jonesloanfinance@yahoo.com} OR Text him +1(307) 217-5388
    .....

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.